Monday, August 22, 2011

The Big Binky Problem

Let me start by saying I am not against the use of binkies. Doodle uses one. I am however, against the unnecessary and harmful use of the binky. Back in my pre-Doodle days of being a preschool teacher, I've seen first hand the issues with binky-overload. It is physically damaging for children to over use a binky. Constant sucking can make older children's lips raw. It also prevents or hinders children from learning more age-appropriate ways of comforting themselves. So what's a parent to do? Here's some handy tips:
-As soon as possible, limit binky usage to ONLY when the child needs it and only after trying other soothing techniques first.
-Remove the binky within minutes of the child calming down.
-Try to keep baby well fed and well rested with a clean diaper. That will result in fewer fussy moments when binky is needed.
-Try to take away the binky entirely before the child in one year of age.

Those steps alone tend to work really well when used from birth, or a very young age (less than 6 months) but with some patience will also help decrease binky use in older children. I've found that Doodle is slowly needing her binky less and less, and will likely wean herself off of it entirely before she is one. I still bring it with me wherever I go, but find myself rarely using it.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I love reading through your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for all your blogging efforts.
    website development in india
    www.rustagitechnologies.com

    ReplyDelete